As I sit with a cup of coffee to write this, I am waiting to hear my coach’s response to the update I sent last night.  Today is day 3 of a three day refeed period after being somewhat low carb for a week.  By “somewhat”, I mean my carbs were around 100 grams per day.  “Low” carb is relative.  I know many competitors wouldn’t think 100 grams is “low”.  Is for me.  I think I’ve talked about it before, but I don’t change my food selection much during these refeed, or diet deload, periods.  I will add in a little more bread, add in some healthy fats, and a little more fruit, too.  I keep the foods the same and increase portion sizes.  Usually.  But I screwed up the first day of this one and had to have TWO bedtime carb feeds.  I always eat right before I sleep, but while my mouth was happy a double feed, my tummy was not.

To be frank – I have come to dislike refeeds.  They were great last winter, but the last couple – and this one in particular – have been difficult.  Set aside the psychological stress of doing something counter-intuitive this close to stage, but I feel beat up by them physically.  My energy levels drop (???), moods swing,  and I feel metabolically beat the heck up.   I expect the next week will be really low-carb.  The first day will suck.  But once my body adjusts, I will feel hungry, but more stable.

I’m leaner now than I’ve ever been.  It’s a weird feeling.  I don’t really like it.  There is more loose skin now than I’ve had before.  Coach and I have already set an off-season goal of staying leaner permanently.  I don’t see a problem with that.  I’ve been hitting PRs in the gym all through this prep.  Asked to not check max lifts last week when I was supposed to because I just didn’t see the point.  Keep the goal the goal – and setting PRs two weeks before a bodybuilding competition was not my goal.  I know myself – if my strength drops, I get frustrated.  No point in risking a mental gymnastics session.

My days have been busy, even though I’m not working.  Lifting, cardio, posing practice, food prep, helping Hubby with projects, walking Tippy, and housework.  Some forced relaxing with reading.  A few naps.   Yesterday, I set up our recumbent bike in the living room so I could do some cardio at home.  It’s not the greatest calorie burn, but it is something I can do while hanging out here.

Not sure how much time I will have to blog between now and the show.  It has taken me days to make myself sit and write this much.  In a few minutes, I need to head to the gym.   I do post daily on Instagram and share it to the Facebook page.  If you want to follow my journey during the last few days, it might be best to follow over there.

Ok – gotta run.  Tippy is laying on the couch next to me and I just spotted a tick attached to his leg.  Need to do a little “dog mom” stuff and then it’s gym time.

Let's connect! Follow me on social media:
Liked it? Share it!